Friday, April 30, 2010

Borek ( Spinach and feta layered Turkish bread)


Recipe from Home Cooking in Montana. This girl is great, I love her blog. I book marked this recipe months ago and finally got around to making it for my backyard knitting bbq this weekend. I pretty much followed her take on the recipe except I used active yeast instead of instant. So here's deal about yeast:

Instant yeast can be added directly to the dry ingredients. Active dry yeast has to be re-hydrated first. To do this you must use water that is no hotter than what you can comfortably put on the back of your wrist. If the water temperature is hotter the yeast will start to die. When substituting active in place of instant use 25% more.

I also didn't have a mixing machine with a paddle so I just kneaded the dough by hand (about 10 minutes, or 3 songs on my ipod shuffle). It's really difficult to over knead bread by hand so don't be afraid to go at it. In retrospect, I could have kneaded the dough even longer. My bread didn't rise as much as Ellie's, but it was still delicious.

Valuable lessons from my 5th grade science project (What factors affect bread making?): The dough kneaded for longer than the recipe called for came out better, almost double the size. The bread made will boiling water to activate the yeast came out terrible. Killing the yeast with hotter water is what will do your bread making in. So be careful!


Kneading dough= great release for built up stress.



No comments:

Post a Comment