Thursday, April 1, 2010

Turkey pot pie (w/ rice crust)


Much to Ryan's dismay this was a "healthy" pot pie. A traditional pastry pot pie requires a lot of work and is too heavy in my opinion (it might not be heavy in moderation but I can never eat anything that resembles pastry in moderation). I tweaked this recipe from cleaning eating magazine (http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/minisite/ce_index.htm). Sometimes they thoroughly take all the fun out of recipes, this is one of them. I think I saved it though! They have this irrational opposition to all fats. I am not a fat hater. I am a firm believer in real butter and whole milk. They have good intentions though, so I forgive them and continue to read their magazine. I do approve of their substitute for half and half--plain yogurt. They call for fat free of course, but i used brown cow cream top (the best yogurt in the world). It gave the pot pie filling a good thickness without weighing it down. I also didn't have any fresh herbs which seriously hurt the flavor. But we can't have fresh herbs all the time. It's not summer yet grr!

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked long grain brown rice (I used a wild rice mix, but brown rice probably makes for a nicer fluffier crust)
2 TBSP butter
3 oz parmigiano (didn't have any so I used aged Dubliner cheese from costco, better choice!)
sea salt and black pepper to taste (always heavy on the pepper)
12 oz boneless, skinless turkey breast cut into one inch cubes
2 carrots sliced
1 white turnip peeled, cubed
1 leek, sliced up through the light green part
half a red onion, diced
3 TBSP whole wheat flour
1/3 c plain yogurt
2 c chicken broth
2 TBSP parsley
2 TBSP sage



Instructions:
preheat oven to 375. combine rice, cheese, s n' p in bowl, set aside. In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp butter, cook turkey till brown but not cooked through (~5 minutes), set aside. Heat 2 tbsp butter and cook veggies until softened (~5 minutes). Add flour, stir for 30 sec. Add broth, stir until simmering. Add yogurt and mix well. Add turkey, parsley, and sage. Season with s n' p. Grease a baking dish, add turkey mixture and top with rice mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, until filling is bubbling and rice is golden brown. let stand 5 min. Bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment