Thursday, June 10, 2010

Summer Desserts

Been really busy lately but managed to bake two desserts this past week. Didn't take any pictures because as soon as they were made I had them wrapped up and out the door.

First was a phenomenal carrot cake (bourke street bakery carrot cake). I don't know what this Bourke St Bakery is but it must be a pretty big deal because when I was searching for carrot cake recipes this one kept coming up. You make a meringue and fold it into the cake batter just enough so you still have white swirls in the batter. This made the cake much lighter than most other carrot cakes. Then you add only one layer of cream cheese frosting in the center. A lighter cake without heavy frosting to bulk it up--perfect for summer. I also like that it forgoes pineapple and raisins and all that other junk that doesn't belong in the cake anyway. I followed the recipe except for pouring the batter into two separate 9-inch round cake tins as apposed to one tin and then slicing the cake horizontally and filling with frosting 1) bc I didn't have time to let the cake cool before cutting it and 2) I didn't feel skilled enough to actually be able to do that. My method worked better though, the cake rose a lot! If I had only used one tin I'm sure it would have spilled over.

Second was a rhubarb and strawberry pie. This was my first rhubarb experience and it was just wonderful. I was really concerned because it looked just like celery, but oh does it have a fantastically sour and unique flavor. I used Mary's pie dough recipe:

1 1/2 all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c butter
1/4 c ice cold milk

sift the dry ingredients together then work in the butter by cutting with two knives until like peas. add the milk and mold into ball. chill for at least 2 hours. you're supposed to get two crusts from this but it was too humid in my kitchen to successfully roll the dough that thin so I just used it all.

filling:

4 c sliced rhubarb
2 c slice strawberries
3/4 c sugar
4 tsp cornstarch

let the filling sit for 5 minutes before pouring into crust. bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes. added fresh mint for garnish. delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment